Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to my childhood

I remember going to a birthday party when I was young and we cut out and baked shrinky dinks. It was so much fun! I had not thought about them much in many years, then saw an article on them in the last scrapbook magazine I got. I thought now that would be fun to make my own embellishments. I bought a package of the materials and then cut out some using my Big Shot.
I had a bunch on a sheet and took markers to give them some color.
I also stamped some onto the material and then cut them out.
Then I stamped on some that I had cut out already.
Following the instructions, I put them all on a baking sheet and in the oven they went for a couple minutes. It was fun watching them curl up and then shrink back down.
Even though the instuctions show you how much they are going to shrink, it is still amazing to see them after they are heated, and how small they really come out to be.
I had a lot of fun doing this project and have lots of materials left to do more. Now if I have a special layout I am working on and need an embellishment to go with it, this will be a great way to get one. I just have to remember to make them much bigger to start with!

Nancy

3 comments:

scrappingbob said...

I love shrinky dinks and you can have so much fun with them. If you are making just one or two you can use a heat gun instead of the oven. I just use a chopstick to hold it down on my heat mat and quick as a wink a shrinky dink.
LOL

Caralee

Anonymous said...

How fun! I think I must go buy some shrinky-dinks soon!
Brittany

Anonymous said...

Caralee....so funny! I saw in the magazine that they used a heat tool for these, but I don't have one so I just did them in the oven. I am glad to hear a heat tool works well, and I would like to get one for future projects. I think I will have to do these when I am with my daughter. She said she never had heard of shrinky dinks. What a deprived child. I can't believe her mother never showed her shrinky dinks!

Nancy