Monday, December 8, 2008

Holiday Reminder

Christmas CountdownBonus!
See I told you I’d get a few of these thrown in, too bad I’ve gotten a little side tracked by the season…. Oye.

When I came across this poem a couple years ago, it has become a great reminder at the beginning of each season to not to forget the real meaning of the Holidays. Every year I search my PC for the poem, (because as I’ve changed computers over the years and never seem to store the file in a place I can find and remember it…) And read it hoping to take its words to heart. Every year I say I’m going to print it all pretty and make a wall hanging to hang up to help me remember each and every day, and every year I don’t…till now.
******************
1 CORINTHIANS 13 - A CHRISTMAS VERSION
If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls,
but do not show love to my family,
I'm just another decorator.
If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime,
but do not show love to my family,
I'm just another cook.
If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity,
but do not show love to my family,
it profits me nothing.
If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata
but do not focus on Christ,
I have missed the point.
Love stops the cooking to hug the child.
Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.
Love is kind, though harried and tired.
Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.
Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way. Love doesn't give only to those whoare able to give in return but rejoices in giving to those who can't.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.
Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust,
but giving the gift of love will endure.
Merry Christmas and lots of love to you and yours!
Author Unknown
************************
First I typed the poem out in Photoshop, using several fonts for added artistic interest.
For an extra touch I used a gold fine tip pen and a gold glitter pen to go over some of the bold text to give it a metallic and special feel.


Then I used a plain ‘ol mat I bought at Wal-Mart for .97 I was surprised to find that the beveled mat was actually 2 mats, so you could get 2 signs out of 1 if you were making several, and wanted to be a bit more frugal. I just covered the Mat(s) in scrapbook papers,& added a few embellishments.


Instead of framing it (which would be lovely also) I used my cropadile to punch 2 holes and made a ribbon hanger.



I hope that this poem will help you too to remember that the holidays arn't just about the gifts, the decorating, and even all the "good" things we do, but to remember to give the best gift of all to those around us; love. I know all to well how easily you can get wrapped up in doing things, even things for church, and charity, and selfless acts for the less fortunate and hurting, but sometimes its best to remember that you need to save some of yourself for those who matter the most.

Have a Blessed Season!

EnJoY!
***HeatheR**


No comments: